The UK’s leading zoo is home to more than 500 species of endangered animals and it’s also the HQ of a team whose efforts to preserve biodiversity spans the globe, with initiatives such as the award-winning Act For Wildlife campaign, which helps you to get involved.
Learn how to support bees, butterflies and hedgehogs, how to defend the natural world from invasive non-native species, and how to help create safe spaces for our threatened wildlife. On a trip to Chester Zoo you, too, can become a wildlife champion.
Meet the animals at Chester Zoo
Download a map of Chester Zoo to see where you can find the various animals. The zoo has sections that home:
- Mammals - Air breathing animals, characterised by having hair or fur, such as big Cats, Elephants, hoofed animals, Monkeys & Apes, Bears and other mammals.
- Birds - There are over 1000 birds at the zoo many of them endangered species.
- Reptiles - There are over 50 types of reptile at the zoo including the world's largest lizard.
- Amphibians - Amphibians are a weird and wonderful collection of animals that include three main groups; frogs & toads, salamanders and caecilians.
- Fish - There are so many different fish in the world, at least 30,000 species, with new species discovered all the time (several hundred a year!).
- Invertebrates - Invertebrates are animals without backbones and there are many different types, including insects, spiders, sponges, snails, octopuses, clams, squid, jellyfish, anemones, corals, starfish, sea urchins, worms - that's just the short list!.
Conservation and education are at the heart of everything we do at Chester Zoo. We are committed to providing the highest standards of care for our animals, as well as protecting native and international wildlife. Our team of expert and knowledgeable staff work hard to care for our animals and support conservation, but are also passionate about connecting our visitors to the natural world. We have a variety of tours and hands-on experiences, as well as daily animal talks to guarantee your day is full of animal adventure.
Stop for a snack at one of our many restaurants, cafes and kiosks located throughout the zoo or let the kids run wild in one of our adventure play areas. We’re a huge zoo, but we’ve got plenty of options for getting around including our Zoofari Monorail and our Lazy River Boat Trip. Don’t forget to stop in at the gift shop on your way out for a souvenir of your trip.
Chester Zoo Membership
Join the Chester Zoo family by becoming a member and you'll get a whole year of FREE unlimited entry plus lots of other great benefits. Memberships can be bought for yourself or for someone else as a gift.
Membership packages start from £50 and include:
- Unlimited FREE entry for 12 months (during normal opening hours)
- Beat the queues with Fast Track entry
- 10% members' discount in our shops and cafes*
- Free entry to other zoos and attractions (terms apply)
- Our quarterly members' magazine, Z
- Two Members’ Days where you can bring up to twelve guests each for half price
- Access to Junior members’ events and days out (age restrictions and additional charges)
- Chester Zoo car sticker
-Invitations to our special Members' Talks
Book your Chester Zoo Tickets here.
For information about opening times and prices, please visit our website (prices and opening times vary throughout the year).
Get the best price when you buy your ticket online and beat the queues with fast track admission. Chester Zoo have flexible pricing for families too! Discounted rates for group and school visits. For accurate prices go to www.chesterzoo.org
Prices range from:
£20 to £25.45 for adults
£15.45 to £20.90 for children
|July to September (20 July 2019 - 1 Sept 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 18:00|
|September (2 Sept 2019 - 29 Sept 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|September to November (30 Sept 2019 - 3 Nov 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:30|
|November to December (4 Nov 2019 - 29 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Christmas Eve (24 Dec 2019)|
* Closed Christmas Day & Boxing Day
* Please note that closing times may be subject to change depending on the operational needs of the business*
The motorway and road network means that Chester Zoo is easy to reach from all over the UK, and you can visit in under two hours from as far as Birmingham or Leeds.From the M56, Junction 14, or M53 Junction 12, follow the brown signs to Chester Zoo. The postcode for sat nav is CH2 1EU.The zoo is also clearly signed on the A41 Chester road.The zoo is on the national cycle network and there are cycle racks at both the main and pedestrian entrance.
Sunday bus service is now the same as weekdays.DB2 service – entrance via bridal path now so this needs updating as it is on http://www.chesterzoo.org/plan-your-visit/how-to-get-here/bus
A visit to Cheshire isn’t complete without a visit to the UK’s favourite zoo. Home to…
The Zoo is not just about animals - it's also home to award-winning gardens which reflect…
All who play here comment on the excellent natural landscape and sculpting of this…
Get your clubs and come and practice your swing before enjoying the…
A warm welcome and a very relaxing experience awaits you at thespa at Hoole Hall,…
Mountain Goat, founded in 1972, is a tour company based in the north of England which…
The Carriage Shed is a unique, semi-covered public space which welcomes visitors to…
BusyBus were established in 2003 and provide fully narrated award-winning sightseeing…
The Live Rooms is Chester’s newest and largest independent live music venue and nightclub
Chester's premier leisure centre and event venue, offering something for everyone, from…
See Chester from a different perspective, viewing parts of the city unreachable by other…
Escapism Chester is a live escape room experience. You will be locked in a room for 60…
Whether it is a day of relaxation at the Spa to indulge in luxury treatments or to allow…
Offering people the opportunity to experience the world’s best virtual reality equipment,…
Enjoy award-winning ice cream at the Backford Belles shop which is set in traditional…
Golf course and driving range with 18 covered bays, floodlighting, putting green, 3 open…