Built in 1840 after an energetic campaign by the silk manufacturing gentry to provide a place of worship for local agricultural workers, the attractive Parish Church of Sutton St James marks a meeting point between the foothills of the Peak District and the fields of the Cheshire Plain.
The church retains its Victorian vicarage and school (now the church hall) but the interior has been considerably altered over the years. The chancel was added in 1871 and the beautiful wrought iron rood screen in 1909. The mosaic reredos, which depicts the infant Christ receiving gifts from the Magi, is a reproduction of one in St Mark’s Venice. The stained glass includes a window by the William Morris Company and the belfry contains a fine peal of six bells.
Open daily, dawn-dusk.